BOISE, Idaho – The Powerball jackpot for tonight’s draw remains at $700 million. It is the second largest jackpot in Powerball’s history and second largest in United States history. Tickets are $2 each and must be purchased before 7:55 pm Mountain Time tonight.
“One Powerball ticket is all you need, but you have to be in it to win $700 million.” said Jeff Anderson, Idaho Lottery Director. “Buying more tickets doesn’t materially increase your odds of winning the jackpot. Each ticket purchased has an equal chance of winning. Again, you have to be in it to win it. We encourage everyone who would like to participate, to play and have the opportunity to imagine what they would do with their prize, but to please play responsibly and only play what you can afford, not to go overboard.”
The Idaho Lottery encourages everyone who wishes to participate not to wait until the last minute to buy their tickets as there may be lengthy lines at busy retail locations.
To bring perspective to the life-changing size of the Powerball jackpot for tonight’s draw, here are few potential bucket list or shopping items players might consider:
- One Private Residence: $140,000,000 (The Hamptons’ highest listing with 11.2-acre waterfront estate)
- One Vacation House: $32,000,000 (Texas mansion with a waterpark for a backyard)
- One Private Island: $48,000,000 (In Florida, and comes with 26 luxury bungalows and an 18-hole golf course)
- One Vacation Home in Sun Valley: $25,000,000
- One Montana Mountain Ski Resort: $3,500,000
- Two Lamborghini Veneno cars for running errands or zipping to the grocery store: $9,000,000
- One Private Gulfstream Jet to visit each of your residences during the year: $66,500,000 for the jet, and then add $1.5 M over ten years for your own private pilot; plus $1 million a year for jet fuel
- One Private Super Yacht, just in case you’d like to sail to your water-based residences: $79,000,000
- Estimated expansion price for a new Major League Soccer Franchise: $200,000,000
- Throw an awesome concert on your super yacht with Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, and Madonna: $3,000,000
Philanthropic Endeavors in a Trust: $82,500,000
“The shopping list is intended only to bring perspective to the magnitude of tonight’s jackpot. In the event an Idaho player should be fortunate enough to win the jackpot, there are several steps they should follow before claiming their prize,” said David Workman, Idaho Lottery Public Information Specialist. “First, they should immediately sign the back of their ticket and contact Lottery Offices. Players have 180 days to claim their prize. We recommend winners take the time to consider their options carefully with advice and consultation of trained professionals in the disciplines of tax, accounting, and finance.”
The Idaho Lottery also encourages everyone to sign their tickets and keep them in a safe place until claiming their prize.
“Good luck, Idaho!” added Anderson.